Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? This medical cannabis strains guide will help you identify the best strain for your treatment. Each strain has different psychoactive properties and varying levels of CBD and THC.
Cannabis Strains Guide – A Brief History
Marijuana also referred to as pot or cannabis, has a long, rich history dating back at least 5,000 years. Ancient Egyptians were said to have used it to treat glaucoma and inflammation. It was then popularized in China and where they found over 100 medicinal uses for it by 100 AD. It’s been used in Indian culture since 1,000 BC, in Roman Culture since 70 AD and Arab culture since 800 AD.
While unknown at the time, each culture cultivated different strains of marijuana. For example, the Haze family strains are believed to have originated from Spanish conquistadors colonizing America. Others include the Kush strain, which comes from the Hindu Kush Mountains. Each family has dozens of strains that include Sativa, Indica and hybrid variations. This cannabis strains guide will help understand the origins and purpose of all three to help you get the best results.
What is the Sativa Strain?
Cannabis-containing the Sativa strain is known for having more uplifting and energizing effects. These strains have an elevated level of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and low levels of cannabinoids (CBD), which are the cause of their euphoric effects.
The Sativa plant is the oldest strain known and its history dates to ancient China. Hemp was cultivated for both medicinal purposes and used in products like pottery. The Chinese eventually created well over 100 remedies utilizing the plant, which helped it gain popularity for generations to come.
Sativa grows tall and thin and features narrower leaves than the Indica strain. It will traditionally be a lighter shade of green and requires more light exposure and time to mature.
Using Sativa for Medical Uses
Adults interested in curing their ailments while still functioning throughout the workday will find Sativa a go-to strain. The strain prevents that relaxing “slump” people feel when smoking high CBD (Indica) strains. It helps treat ailments while keeping you energized throughout the day. There are several symptoms more prone to relief with Sativa and should be utilized as the following:
- Anti-anxiety – Helps reduce stress associated with social interaction.
- Anti-depressant – Gives a euphoric feeling and uplifts mood.
- Chronic pain treatment – Helps with pain management while still allowing functionality throughout the day.
- Focus and Creativity Booster – Provides brain stimulation necessary for promoting focus and creativity.
- Serotonin Booster – A neurotransmitter that regulates mood, anxiety, appetite, sleep and
- Daytime relief of symptoms – Devoid of drowsy side effects.
Sativa helps jumpstart the day without bogging down your mind too much. It’s a suitable place for beginner smokers to start who want to try something that won’t slow down the day.
What is the Indica Strain?
Indica plants tend to grow bushier than their counterparts and have wider leaves in comparison. This cannabis strain grows quicker and darker in color and tends to yield more buds per plant than Sativa. It’s known for having a higher CBD count and lower THC count, which contributes to its relaxing qualities.
Classified as a subspecies of Sativa, Indica strains are thought to originate somewhere in the Hindu Kush mountains. It’s less psychoactive than Sativa, which gives fewer “high” effects. However, the high CBD count helps with promoting relaxation.
Using Indica for Medical Uses
Smokers interested in a “nighttime” high will enjoy the effects of the Indica plant. Each strain can help treat specific symptoms while helping to stimulate your brain for better sleep. Here’s how this cannabis strain continues to marvel smokers.
- Mental Relaxation – CBD helps to alleviate anxiety and provides a feeling of “relaxation” to your body.
- Increases Appetite – CBD helps to promote fast acting insulin and boosts your metabolism to help you eat and lose weight.
- Dopamine Booster – This neurotransmitter helps stimulate pleasure centers in your brain.
- Alleviate Nausea – Help alleviate nausea by dulling pain sensors, which also helps with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
- Muscle Relaxer – CBD decreases the number of muscle spasms by relaxing muscles.
- Decreased Acute and Chronic Pain – This cannabis strain helps to promote a healthier lifestyle and decreases overall pain.
- Nighttime Use – Causes drowsiness and helps treat insomnia.
Smokers looking for a quality smoke that will help relax them should invest in an Indica cannabis strain. This high CBD, low THC strain comes in a wide variety, so there is one perfectly suited to your taste.
What is a Hybrid Strain?
Hybrid cannabis strains mix both Sativa and Indica properties to create a new plant. Each hybrid strain has various levels of THC and CBD, which helps to personalize the treatment for any smoker.
Smokers looking to personalize their smoke should investigate each type of hybrid strain. Most experts help you identify a strain (or several) tailored specifically to ailments and needs. Experienced smokers prefer hybrid strains since they blend both the benefits of Sativa with Indica.
Personalize Your Smoke Experience with the Perfect Strain
Choosing between Sativa, Indica or a hybrid can seem daunting with over 100 strains available on the market. However, you can help narrow down your selection using our cannabis strains guide. While daytime smokers prefer Sativa or hybrid while nighttime smokers prefer Indica or hybrid strains, your experience could be different.
Trying each strain usually helps with deciding which works best. Most smokers know immediately when they’ve found a strain worth reordering, so it may take a few batches to get it right. Talk with an expert if you’re unsure about any hybrid strain and its effects to avoid wasting money on a product you won’t use.